Just when you think the Yankees might be turning a corner, they remind you why they don’t look anywhere close to a playoff team this season. After winning the first two games of the series against the Astros in Houston and holding a 7-2 lead going into the ninth inning on Sunday, they found a way to lose every bit of momentum. Domingo German and Chad Green blew the five-run lead, capped by a Jose Altuve walk-off homer, to hand the Yankees a disastrous loss heading into the All-Star break.
To talk about Sunday’s nightmare and recap a disappointing first half of the season, we bring you a new edition of the “Pinstripe Pod” with Chris Shearn and Jeff Nelson, featuring an interview with the Yankees Spanish radio play-by-play voice Rickie Ricardo.
Pinstripe Pod Opening Segment with Chris, Jeff & Jake:
- SUNDAY’S LOSS: Why didn’t Aaron Boone put Aroldis Chapman in the game to start the ninth inning? Was a soft landing and perfect spot to try and get his confidence back. Sunday’s heartbreaking loss took a lot away from winning the first two games. You would rather get crushed than lose the way you did Sunday.
- FIRST HALF GRADE: Guys give the Yankees a D- for their first half of the season. This was supposed to be a World Series contender and now they will be lucky to even sneak into the playoffs. All-Star Game has diminished and lost its luster and become a bit of a joke. Guys don’t even want to play in it like they used to.
Rickie Ricardo Interview:
WADO Yankees Spanish radio play-by-play voice
- NO CHAPMAN: He had to be in that game and Boone fumbled that. With Loaisiga not available, there was no reason not to start inning with Chapman.
- FIRST HALF: Starting pitching was concern coming into the season. They have missed out on several sweeps that could have changed first half.
- UPCOMING STRETCH: Games against Red Sox and Rays coming up will decide the season and what Yankees do at trade deadline.
Catch up on all episodes of “Pinstripe Pod,” a New York Yankees podcast, by subscribing to the podcast on Apple Podcasts, Spotify or wherever you get your podcasts. Follow the whole crew on Twitter @ChrisShearnYES, @NYNellie43 and @JakeBrownRadio. New episodes of the show are released Mondays and Thursdays.