The Daily Fountain Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 20 July 2021 – Genuine Care
Click HERE to Read Previous MESSAGES
Topic: Genuine Care
Read: Philippians 2:19-24 (NKJV)
- But I trust in the Lord Jesus to send Timothy to you shortly, that I also may be encouraged when I know your state.
- For I have no one like-minded, who will sincerely care for your state.
- For all seek their own, not the things which are of Christ Jesus.
- But you know his proven character, that as a son with [his] father he served with me in the gospel.
- Therefore I hope to send him at once, as soon as I see how it goes with me.
- But I trust in the Lord that I myself shall also come shortly.
In our text today, Apostle Paul while unveiling his intention to send Timothy, a selfless man whose major interest was to care for the Philippians, decried the self-interest that had overwhelmed others in the same ministry. Yes, they were ministers but all sought their own and not the things of the Lord. Immediate gain was their driving force. They walked in the lust and pride of life, were the enemies of the cross and set their minds on earthly thing (Philippians 3:18 &19).
It is truly painful to see that the motivation for what many persons within the Church do today is self-interest. It is not wrong to seek for gain, but selfishness is wrong. Are you a clergyman or a laity? What are your interests in your engagements? Paul said of others: For all seek their own, not the things which are of Christ Jesus. But Timothy on the other hand had a record and a testimony that he was a selfless man who sought the welfare of others, particularly of children of God. Note the words of God to the family of Eli, ‘For those who honour Me, I will honour; and those who despise Me shall be lightly esteemed (1 Samuel 2:30). God holds in high honour those who put others first – He will reward them for their love and commitment, here and in eternity. Let us today seek those things that of God. Let Him be the reason behind our actions.
PRAYER: Dear Lord, help me to put the interest of others above mine, in Jesus’ Name. Amen.