Maximising the Wonders of Godliness! By Bishop David Oyedepo
Topic: Maximising the wonders of Godliness!
Welcome to the concluding part of this teaching! I hope you were blessed by last week teaching. Today, we shall focus on: Maximising the Wonders of Godliness!
From scriptures, we understand that godliness is not a state of perfection but a tireless ‘press’ towards it. It is written, For bodily exercise profiteth little: but godliness is profitable unto all things, having promise of the life that now is, and of that which is to come (1 Timothy 4:8). This means that maintaining a life of godliness is a lifelong battle for every believer and we cannot overcome without the fight of faith. Therefore, we must keep pressing because when the press stops, our victory is truncated (Matthew 5:6). It is also important to understand that godliness is a highly profitable two-way virtue that guarantees eternity and ensures all-round profiting on the earth. That is why we must put up a fight against every form of ungodliness or we live under the oppression of sin perpetually.
Natures of Sin
- Sin is Enticing: The word ‘entice’ connotes pleasure or attraction. It implies that sin is attractive and pleasurable in nature. For instance, the Philistines engaged Delilah as an agent to subdue Samson by enticing him. No wonder the Bible admonishes, ‘My son, if sinners entice thee, consent thou not’. We must, therefore, avoid the attractions of sin by being content with what we have; for godliness with contentment is great gain (Judges 16:4-5; Proverbs 1:10; 1 Timothy 6:6; James 1:13-15).
- Sin is Secretive: After David committed adultery with Bath-sheba, God said to him, For thou didst it secretly: but I will do this thing before all Israel, and before the sun (2 Samuel 12:12; see also Psalm 90:8). That was God’s judgment against David. Therefore, until we break the secrecy of sin, we will never walk in liberty (Psalm 139:23-24; 2 Kings 5:20-27).
How, Then, Do We Break the Trap of Sin?
- By Seeking Sin-cleansing Words: This can be gotten through anointed books and electronic media such as CDS, DVD, etc., that deals with issues of ungodliness. God’s Word carries sanctifying virtues and every genuine encounter with the Word liberates us from sin (Psalm 119:9-11; John 15:3, 17:17; Ephesians 5:26). Therefore, just as the presence of light subdues darkness, it also takes the Word to subdue sin (1 John 3:9; Luke 8:11).
- Through Commitment to Continuous Fellowship: The church, which is referred to as Mount Zion in the New Testament, is a holiness service station where our spiritual lives are serviced. Among the happenings in Zion is the spiritual sprinkling of the Blood for our cleansing (Hebrews 12:22-24). We must understand that the farther we are from church, the more vulnerable we become to temptations. That is why to live a godly life, we must be addicted and committed to fellowship because we are strengthened when we appear before God in Zion (Hebrews 3:13, 10:25; Psalm 84:7; Obadiah 17).
- By Seeking Impartation Of Relevant Spiritual Gifts: Spiritual gifts enhance our establishment as it is impossible to live a godly life without the Spirit of God at work in us (Romans 1:11). This is why we must seek relevant spiritual gifts to live godly lives (Romans 8:13).
Some of these relevant spiritual gifts include:
- The Spirit of Obedience: It takes the Spirit of obedience to live a triumphant life and this Spirit enables us to keep God’s commandments without stress (Ezekiel 36:27).
- The Spirit of Holiness: This is also called the Spirit of the fear of the Lord and it is the cure for every attack of filthiness. Jesus knew no sin because this Spirit was at work in Him. Therefore, when we are filled with the Spirit of holiness, our dominion over sin is established (Isaiah 11:2; Romans 1:4; John 8:46).
- The Spirit of Grace and Supplication: We need the Spirit of grace and supplication to subdue the weakness of the flesh and excel in our prayer lives. It is this Spirit that empowers us for effectiveness, intensity, and productivity on the prayer altar (Romans 8:26-27; Zechariah 12:10). To be ‘prayerless’ is to easily yield to temptation and we cannot be prayerful without the Spirit of grace and supplication actively at work in our lives (Matthew 26:41). Therefore, the hotter our prayer lives, the more godly we become.
What are the Benefits of Godliness?
- Godliness Guarantees Divine Protection: It takes godliness to dwell in God’s presence where the seal of protection is and we cannot, (Psalm 91:1-4, 15:1-3). Joseph was a man that feared God and it was impossible for him to be killed. When Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego were thrown into the fiery furnace, they became indestructible because they were men that feared God. Furthermore, Daniel feared God, so when he was thrown into the den of lions, he could not be harmed. This means that with the fear of God, the righteous are not permitted to be hurt (Genesis 37:19-27; Daniel 3:16-20, 6:16-23; Psalm 125:1-3; 1 Peter 3:13).
- Godliness Guarantees Access To Peace That Passes All Understanding: Peace that passes all understanding flows freely into the lives of the righteous because Jesus is the Prince of peace. The Bible says, When he giveth quietness, who then can make trouble? and when he hideth his face, who then can behold him? whether it be done against a nation, or against a man only (Job 34:29; see also Isaiah 32:17-18). When God gives us peace, it cannot be disrupted. However, righteousness is our access to that realm of peace (John 14:27; Isaiah 59:8).
In conclusion, everyone who genuinely walked in the fear of God in scriptures became a wonder among men. This is why we must guard against any pleasure that seeks to rob us of our glorious future (Proverbs 21:17). Therefore, receive grace to walk in godliness as a lifestyle! However, you must be born again. Are you born again? If you are not, this is an opportunity to do so. Simply say the following prayer: Lord Jesus, I come to You today. I am a sinner. Forgive me of my sins. Cleanse me with Your precious Blood. Today, I accept You as my Lord and personal Saviour. Thank You, Jesus, for saving me! Now, I know I am born again! For further reading, please get my books: Walking in the Newness of Life, Conquering Controlling Powers and The Blood Triumph.
I invite you to fellowship with us at the Faith Tabernacle, Canaanland, Ota, the covenant home of Winners. We have four services on Sundays, holding at 6:00 a.m., 7:50 a.m., 9:40 a.m. and 11:30 a.m. respectively. I know this teaching has blessed you. Write and share your testimony with me through: Faith Tabernacle, Canaanland, Ota, P.M.B. 21688, Ikeja, Lagos, Nigeria, or call 01-4548070, 01-4548280, or E-mail: email@example.com, Facebook: David Oyedepo Ministries International, Twitter: @DavidOyedepoMin.
Bishop David O. Oyedepo is a Nigerian Christian author, architect, preacher, and the founder and presiding bishop of the mega church, Living Faith Church Worldwide, also known as Winners’ Chapel.
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.