The Daily Fountain Daily Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 20 September 2020 – Be Motivated By Love
Click HERE to Read Previous MESSAGES
Topic: Be Motivated By Love
Read: Romans 12: 9-21 (NKJV)
- [Let] love [be] without hypocrisy. Abhor what is evil. Cling to what is good.
- [Be] kindly affectionate to one another with brotherly love, in honor giving preference to one another;
- not lagging in diligence, fervent in spirit, serving the Lord;
- rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly in prayer;
- distributing to the needs of the saints, given to hospitality.
- Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse.
- Rejoice with those who rejoice, and weep with those who weep.
- Be of the same mind toward one another. Do not set your mind on high things, but associate with the humble. Do not be wise in your own opinion.
- Repay no one evil for evil. Have regard for good things in the sight of all men.
- If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men.
- Beloved, do not avenge yourselves, but [rather] give place to wrath; for it is written, “Vengeance [is] Mine, I will repay,” says the Lord.
- Therefore “If your enemy is hungry, feed him; If he is thirsty, give him a drink; For in so doing you will heap coals of fire on his head.”
- Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.
In our text, Apostle Paul charges the Corinthian Christians to love sincerely. This sincere love would enable them give honour to and live in harmony with others (verses 10 & 16); it would help them to be zealous in serving the Lord hopefully and patiently even in trouble; never giving up on God (verse 12).This genuine love would make them contribute towards the needs of others (verse 13); enable them bless those who were cruel to them; not repay evil for evil but feeding the enemy when the need arose (verse 14, verse 17 & verse 20). The Christian is expected to strive to live at peace with everyone; never seeking to avenge himself/herself, for vengeance belongs to the Lord, but to run away from all evil and hold fast to that which is good.
Child of God, the Lord’s way is the way of love. He does nothing without love and His actions are motivated by the same. That is why He has not dealt with us according to our sins nor has He rewarded us according to our iniquities. As His children, He would have us act in love towards others whether they are our friends or foes. The love we are to display must be sincere and not pretentious. This is when we can be like our Father in heaven who rains on both the evil and the good. So, today let your actions be motivated by love, that will see you bless those who curse you, and feed your enemy when he is hungry. It will enable you provide for the needy and strengthen you to live at peace with all people. And those who come across you today will feel the impact of God’s love through you.
PRAYER: Dear Lord, help me to genuinely love others as You love me.