The Daily Fountain Daily Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 27 March 2020 | Strengthening The Saints
TOPIC: Strengthening The Saints
READ: COLOSSIANS 1:1-12 (NKJV)
- Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, and Timothy our brother,
- To the saints and faithful brethren in Christ [who are] in Colosse: Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
- We give thanks to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, praying always for you,
- since we heard of your faith in Christ Jesus and of your love for all the saints;
- because of the hope which is laid up for you in heaven, of which you heard before in the word of the truth of the gospel,
- which has come to you, as [it has] also in all the world, and is bringing forth fruit, as [it is] also among you since the day you heard and knew the grace of God in truth;
- as you also learned from Epaphras, our dear fellow servant, who is a faithful minister of Christ on your behalf,
- who also declared to us your love in the Spirit.
- For this reason we also, since the day we heard it, do not cease to pray for you, and to ask that you may be filled with the knowledge of His will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding;
- that you may walk worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing [Him,] being fruitful in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God;
- strengthened with all might, according to His glorious power, for all patience and longsuffering with joy;
- giving thanks to the Father who has qualified us to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in the light.
The Book of Colossians is an epistle of Apostle Paul and Timothy to the saints and faithful brethren at Colosse. According to the Dictionary, a Saint is one who is sanctified or made holy; a person who is consecrated and separated unto God’s service, free from blemish. Paul used the same word in Ephesians 1:1 and Philippians 1:1. He called the Christians, Saints. If in the Congregation there were some who were not saints, the letter would spur such to aspire to become one. Some qualities of the saints were mentioned:(a) Their faith in Christ Jesus; (b) Their love for other saints; (c) Their hope in Christ; (d) Their fruit in Christ.
The Apostle Paul on hearing about them responded by:
(i) Giving thanks to God on their behalf
(ii) Writing letter of encouragement
(iii) Praying for them unceasingly that they might be filled with the knowledge of God’s will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding
(iv) That they might walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing
(v) That they might be fruitful in every good work
(vi) And increasing in the knowledge of God (vii) That they might be strengthened with all might according to his glorious power unto all patience and long-suffering with joyfulness
(viii) Giving thanks unto the Father who has made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints on high.
PRAYER: Make me a saint dear Lord and make me holy and perfect.