The Daily Fountain Daily Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 30 May 2020 – Power To Be A Witness
Click HERE to Read Previous MESSAGES
TOPIC: Power To Be A Witness
READ: ACTS 1:1-8 (NKJV)
- The former account I made, O Theophilus, of all that Jesus began both to do and teach,
- until the day in which He was taken up, after He through the Holy Spirit had given commandments to the apostles whom He had chosen,
- to whom He also presented Himself alive after His suffering by many infallible proofs, being seen by them during forty days and speaking of the things pertaining to the kingdom of God.
- And being assembled together with [them,] He commanded them not to depart from Jerusalem, but to wait for the Promise of the Father, “which,” [He said,] “you have heard from Me;
- “for John truly baptized with water, but you shall be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now.”
- Therefore, when they had come together, they asked Him, saying, “Lord, will You at this time restore the kingdom to Israel?”
- And He said to them, “It is not for you to know times or seasons which the Father has put in His own authority.
- “But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.”
For one to be a credible witness, one needs to have the power to convincingly say what one has seen, heard, touched or handled (1 John 1:1). The passage we read today testifies that Jesus Christ suffered for man, rose from the dead and appeared to His disciples for 40 days, speaking about the kingdom of God (verse 3). One important thing He told them was to stay in Jerusalem and wait for the promise of the Holy Spirit. However, the disciples were more interested in knowing the time for the restoration of the kingdom back to Israel. Jesus quickly told them that it was God who had the absolute authority over such matters and he further told them that they would receive power to witness from Jerusalem to all over the world.
Why is it very hard for some Christians to be witnesses for Christ? It is because of their lack of the power of the Holy Spirit. Beloved, do you witness for Christ? Have you been filled with the Holy Spirit of God? If not, please go on your knees and cry unto God to fill you with His Holy Spirit and empower you to be a witness. Trust God for He never fails.
PRAYER: Send down Your power, we pray Thee O God, send down Your Holy Ghost, we say Amen.