Maintaining Spiritual Fervency in Marriage (Part 4) By Pastor Faith Oyedepo
Topic: Maintaining Spiritual Fervency in Marriage (Part 4)
You are welcome to the last segment of this teaching for the month. I believe the word read has not only been a blessing to you but your family as well. It is my prayer that your spiritual life will be engraced to be more effective and you will gain more command by this, in Jesus’ name!
How Do I Attain Spiritual Fervency?
1. Recognize the Need for It: You attract only what you desire. When you see spirituality as a need, you will desire it and then do all it takes to reach for it. Until you recognize that spiritual fervency is a must for profitable living, God is not committed to making it real for you. Rather than desire materials things, fame and wealth, desire to know more of God, to be in tune with Him, spirit, soul, and body. Also, a desire to hear more from God and be guided by Him daily. True success comes from this. The Bible says: This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success (Joshua 1:8). When God becomes your ultimate priority in life, victories come cheaply for you.
2. Desire it: Whatever you desire is what you deserve. To desire means to strongly feel the need for spirituality, to want to be spiritual as a matter of importance. The Bible says: Delight thyself also in the LORD; and he shall give thee the desire of thine heart (Psalm 37:4). Your desire for spiritual fervency should come from the heart. Interestingly, when the desire comes from the heart, it is a tree of life (Proverbs 13:12). For this desire to be met, your life must give God pleasure.
3. Be Determined: To be fervent in spirit, you must be determined to do so. This is a personal decision that cannot be made for you. When you are determined to be spiritual, God will make it a reality, because He sees your heart and knows the sincere desires of man. He provides you with the enablement you need to achieve this and keep growing in it. From scriptures, we understand that everyone with sincere and genuine determination got their desires. For instance, Daniel and the three Hebrew boys determined in their heart not to defile themselves with the king’s rich meal, and God engraced them for this (Daniel 1:8). Have you made a resolution to be more prayerful, seek God’s Word and desire to please Him at all times? His grace is always sufficient for all who ask with a heart. Like Daniel, if you can purpose to seek God more, in spite of all competing issues contesting for your time, He will make you be ten (10) times above your peers, and make your home more desirable.
4. Invest Your Time: Do not just desire and determine to be spiritual alone, you must make out time to ensure your desires become a reality. Spiritual fervency does not just happen; you have to make it happen. For this to be possible, you have to invest quality time. You have to find out what it takes and give it your all.
Someone has rightly said that many people spend time but only a few invest it. Be among the few that will invest time in building spiritual depth. But how do you invest your time, you may ask? Seek a quiet time with God. Secure some minutes or hours to be alone searching Scriptures and praying. The truth is Those who spend time with God always gain more wisdom and grace for their daily activities. Spiritual fervency is not a gift; so, you need not to waste your time praying for the gift to be spiritually fervent. Invest in spiritual materials – anointed books, audio/visual messages, etc. Spend your time with activities that would open up your understanding, enlighten, encourage, challenge and keep you spiritually active and alert. Dissociate yourself from the company of time wasters and begin to invest quality time in your spiritual life.
5. Engage in Spiritual Exercise: This spiritual exercise will also include fasting. Fasting makes you spiritually more alert. It mortifies the flesh and makes you more receptive to spiritual signals. Fasting should, however, be coupled with prayers and search of scriptures for it to be beneficial to you.
6. Receive Help from the Holy Spirit: Spiritual fervency is unachievable without help from above. The Bibles states: …for by strength shall no man prevail (1 Samuel 2:9). In your quest for spirituality, you must desire, crave and ask for the help of the Holy Spirit.
The grace required to be spiritually fervent is only available when you surrender your life to Christ. This is by confessing your sins and accepting Jesus as your Lord and personal Saviour. If you are ready for this new birth experience, please say this prayer: Dear Lord Jesus Christ, I come to You today. I am a sinner. Forgive me my sins and cleanse me with Your Blood. I accept You as my Lord and personal Saviour. Make me a child of God today. Thank You for delivering me from sin and satan to serve the living God and thank You for accepting me into Your Kingdom.
Congratulations! If you prayed this simple prayer of faith with me, you are born again and now a child of God. He loves you and will never leave you. Read your Bible daily; obey God’s Word and seek Christian fellowship (John 14:21). With this, you are guaranteed all-round rest and peace in Jesus’ name! Call or write to share your testimonies with me through [email protected], 07026385437 OR 08141320204.
For more insight, these books authored by me are available at the Dominion Bookstores in all Living Faith Churches and other leading Christian bookstores: Marriage Covenant, Making Marriage Work, Building a Successful Home and Success in Marriage (Co-Authored).
Pastor Faith Oyedepo is the wife of Bishop David Oyedepo, the founder of the Living Faith Church Worldwide a.k.a. Winners’ Chapel, and Senior Pastor of Faith Tabernacle, Canaanland, Ota, Nigeria.