Topic: Blessed By Association [Open Heavens for Teens 5 September 2020]
Memorise: But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat. 1 Corinthians 5:11
Bible Reading: 2 Kings 6:11-17
- Therefore the heart of the king of Syria was sore troubled for this thing; and he called his servants, and said unto them, Will ye not show me which of us is for the king of Israel?
- And one of his servants said, None, my lord, O king: but Elisha, the prophet that is in Israel, telleth the king of Israel the words that thou speakest in thy bedchamber.
- And he said, Go and spy where he is, that I may send and fetch him. And it was told him, saying, Behold, he is in Dothan.
- Therefore sent he thither horses, and chariots, and a great host: and they came by night, and compassed the city about.
- And when the servant of the man of God was risen early, and gone forth, behold, an host compassed the city both with horses and chariots. And his servant said unto him, Alas, my master! how shall we do?
- And he answered, Fear not: for they that be with us are more than they that be with them.
- And Elisha prayed, and said, LORD, I pray thee, open his eyes, that he may see. And the LORD opened the eyes of the young man; and he saw: an behold, the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire round about Elisha.
Bible Reading In One Year:
Proverbs 7-8; 1 Corinthians 14:21-40
God made a covenant with Abraham and blessed him. But because God is the Everlasting Father, He purposed that the blessing would outlive Abraham. ln fulfilling this, God promised that through Abraham’s seed, every nation on earth would be blessed. Therefore, anyone who is the seed of Abraham is automatically blessed because he was blessed.
Today, one can become the seed of Abraham through faith in Jesus Christ. So the moment a fellow accepts Jesus Christ as his Lord and Saviour, he is drafted into the lineage of Abraham and can therefore enjoy the blessings of Abraham. If believers share in the blessings of Abraham as a result of faith and associating with Christ, then one needs to be mindful of ones association.
We can also deduce that the people you associate with can either bring blessings or curses to you. So you need to choose those you associate with carefully. Korah, Dathan and Abiram formed a clique against Moses and Aaron. What was their end? The ground opened up and swallowed them alive along with their children, their belongings and their tent (Numbers 16:32).
Mind our association. Be not unequally yoke with unbelievers (2 Corinthians 6:14).
Hymn: When We Walk With The Lord
- When we walk with the Lord
In the light of His Word,
What a glory He sheds on our way,
While we do His good will,
He abides with us still,
And with all who will trust and obey.
Trust and obey,
For there’s no other way
To be happy in Jesus,
But to trust and obey.
- Not a shadow can rise,
Not a cloud in the skies,
But His smile quickly drives it away,
Not a doubt or a fear,
Not a sigh or a tear,
Can abide while we trust and obey.
- Not a burden we bear,
Not a sorrow we share,
But our toil He doth richly repay,
Not a grief nor a loss,
Not a frown nor a cross,
But is blest if we trust and obey.
- But we never can prove
The delights of His love,
Until all on the altar we lay,
For the favour He shows,
And the joy He bestows,
Are for them who will trust and obey.
- Then in fellowship sweet
We will sit at His feet,
Or we’ll walk by His side in the way,
What He says we will do,
Where He sends, we will go,
Never fear, only trust and obey.
Daily Devotional for Teen’s guide was written by Pastor E.A. Adeboye, the General Overseer of the Redeemed Christian Church of God, one of the largest evangelical church in the world and also the President of Christ the Redeemer’s Ministries.